Neat Facts about Honey Bees:
- The average worker bee produces about 1/12th teaspoon of honey in her lifetime (all worker bees are female)
- A hive of bees will fly 90,000 miles, the equivalent of three orbits around the earth, to collect 1 kg of honey.
- The honey bee is totally responsible for the pollination of over 90 fruit and vegetable crops
- Worker honey bees are female, live for about 6 weeks and do all the work.
- The queen bee has control over whether she lays male or female eggs.
- Each honey bee colony has a unique odor for members' identification.
- Only worker bees sting, and only if they feel threatened, and they die once they sting. Queens have a stinger, but they don't leave the hive to help defend it.
- It is estimated that 1100 honey bee stings are required to be fatal.
- Honey bees communicate with one another by dancing. Read more on their awesome sense of time, communication of distance and direction in "The Awesome Honeybee Dance".
Get The Buzz On Honey Bees!
Be amazed by how honey bees organize themselves and assume the different
roles in the hive. There is every reason why the bees are known a superorganism!
More in Awesome Roles of Bees in a Hive.
•Scientists have harnessed the honey bee's phenomenal sense of smell to detect and track down explosives hidden by terrorists.
- Make a glass of lukewarm honey water mixed with a pinch of cinnamon powder to help boost your immune system during the cold season. It is also helpful in clearing the sinuses.
- Mix honey with cinnamon powder, apply paste to pimples before sleeping and wash away the next
- Apply a paste of cinnamon powder and honey on an aching tooth.
"If the honey bee disappeared off the face of the earth, man would only have four years to live."
-Maurice Maeterlinck, The Life of the Bee